Western Fremont Historical Society
Preserving the history and heritage of the settlers of western Fremont County, Colorado.
WESTERN FREMONT HISTORIC SOCIETY
P.O. Box 181, Howard, CO 81233
Parkdale Texas Creek Cotopaxi Coaldale Howard Swissvale Wellsville
2023 SPRING NEWSLETTER
We enjoyed seeing so many of you at our Annual Meeting on April 1 at the Coaldale Community Building. It is always fun to get together with other history lovers and community members who want to learn more about our area. If you were unable to attend, you missed a great program about the history of Cotopaxi and the old general store which until recently was owned by the Mullins family. We are anticipating a lot of adventures and discoveries now that WFHS has taken on the preservation of that property, and we look forward to an expanded presence in the Cotopaxi area. The Annual Meeting also featured a bake sale as the first of our fundraising efforts to maintain the Cotopaxi-Mullins History Center, including property taxes and utilities – most of us took home a fine sampling of yummy treats!
SUMMER PROGRAMS AND EVENTS ON TAP:
- “Look Back into History” – open house events at the History Center in Howard (0070 Co. Rd. 56) from 1-3 p.m. on the last Sunday of the month beginning in May (5/28, 6/25, 7/30, 8/27 and 9/24) featuring special themes and items from our collection and files
- June 24 – Badger Creek Ranch tour and program featuring the historic IM Ranch property, native American hunting sites, and wonderful scenery in the northwest corner of western Fremont County. We are so excited to offer this totally new program!
- July 2 – vintage car show around the historic Howard town square, in conjunction with Howard Community Center’s annual Independence Day celebration
- September 23 – Amy Homestead tour (Co. Rd. 4/Howard Creek Rd. in Howard), an all-day open house event featuring historic ranch house and outbuildings, as well as heritage apple orchard, cider press and other activities for the whole family
We also plan to have an information table at the Coaldale Market on Wednesday afternoons throughout the summer, so we hope to catch some of you there, too.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: If you have some extra time and are looking for ways to get involved, we can use your expertise and assistance in any of the following areas:
- Help set up displays at the History Center in Howard
- Assist at the information table at some of the Coaldale Market days
- Trim weeds and/or water perennials/shrubs occasionally at either of our History Centers (Howard or Cotopaxi)
- Assist with clean-up and maintenance projects at the Cotopaxi-Mullins History Center
- Provide baked goods for occasional bake sales
We always have a great time and learn so much when history lovers get together, so please contact one of the Board members below and let us know how you’d like to get involved. We look forward to seeing you at upcoming events!
|Craig Leitner, President (719) 207-0015||Kris Shurr, VP/Membership (719) 942-3653|
|Barbara Snyder, Secretary (719) 539-3956||Cinde McPhail, Treasurer (719) 942-4521|
|Betsy Denney, Historian/Programs (719) 942-3679||Shari Mohr, Community Outreach (719-942-3355)|
|Casey Hildebrand, Maintenance (720) 412-4001||Debbie Hildebrand, Event Coord. (303) 506-4399|
|Facebook: Western Fremont Historical Society||Website: westfremonthistory.com|